Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Blog Inspirations

I've been trying to recall where I got my inspiration for coming up with an online journal, a.k.a. blog. For quite some time, I had my friend, Orange, to thank for this. You see, her blog entries are just so hilarious! (You'll find out what I'm talking about when you visit her orangeexpress blog site.) She surely inspired me to come up with something similar, albeit mine is more on the emo-mushy side, sometimes pretending to be witty, sometimes bordering on corny. Nevertheless, I try to make it a point to write about something that crossed my mind, something that amazed me, something I've been longing for, or just some random thoughts I'd like to share with others.

Yesterday, however, I was watching some old TV commercials on YouTube and I thought about the TV shows during my growing-up years. I thought about Beverly Hills 90210, Saturday Fun Machine (with such shows as Pandamonium, Fraggle Rock, The Great Space Coaster and the likes), The Twilight Zone, Northern Exposure, Murphy Brown, and so much more. Finally, it hit me! My real inspiration for blogging is not Orange--although she got me started on it. It was Neil Patrick Harris, a.k.a. Doogie Howser, M.D.

In each episode, he would end the show by logging on to his computer, creating an electronic journal of lessons learned for the day or for the week. I vividly remember seeing words typed on a blue screen while his thoughts were being voiced over. The cursor was still that white block that came in after each letter. I recall wanting so much to have my own electronic journal that when my dad bought us a computer at home, I wanted to write about anything and everything under the sun. The problem is, the computer is for everyone in the family, and I had some thoughts that I would just like to keep to myself. Besides, blogs were unheard of at that time, and the only establishments with Internet access are schools. And technology back then was jurassic, so to speak. Anyway, I never bothered to come up with a printed journal as it is too girlie for me.

So here I am now, coming up with my own electronic journal a la Doogie Howser, M.D. Unfortunately, my writing is still restricted to things that are not too personal. I cannot write about the way I feel about somebody, some crazy stuff I'm doing, the way I feel about work ... it will just create chaos! The good thing is I can now creatively "hide" some of these things in the form of word play. But for the other things, I can only reveal them to a few close friends.

"Do dum do do dum. Do dum do do dum. (Okay, so I'm trying hard to replicate the theme song of Doogie Howser, M.D. Pretend you're hearing it the way I am.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice one, i just added up lots of new emo backgrounds at my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info